2-Ethyl Hexanol (2-EH) is a clear high-boiling point and low volatility solvent, uniform, nontoxic liquid with a characteristic odor, insoluble in water, soluble in organic solvent. It is obtained indirectly in OXO synthesis from propylene (C3H6) and synthesis gas (CO + H2)
It is also known as Octanol (C8 alcohol)
|Spec. Description||Unit||Value||Test Method|
|Acidity as acetic acid||wt.%||0.01 max.||IS 323 – 1959|
|Water||wt.%||0.1 max.||IS 2362 -1963|
|Color||APHA||10||IS 4161 -1967|
|Distillation range||°C, 1 atm||183 – 185|
|Specific gravity||@ 20/20°C||0.833 – 0.834|
|Color||Clear & Colorless|
– Semi-structural formula C8H18O
• Readily forms esters with various acids
• Very limited miscibility with water
• Low volatility solvent
• Enhances flow and gloss in baking finishes
• Non-HAP (Hazardous Air Pollutant) Solvent
- Main application is as a feed stock in the manufacture of low volatility esters, the most important of it is Di-Octyl Phthalate (DOP or DEHP)
- As low volatility Solvent for resins, animal fats, vegetable oils etc.
- As low-volatility ingredient in solvent blends for dye stuffs & coating industries
- Additive in dispersing & wetting agents for pigment pastes.
- Feed stock in the manufacture of Ethoxylates & extractents for heavy metals.
- Used in the production of derivatives like Di-Octyl Adipate, Di-Octyl Maleate, etc.
- Feed stock in the manufacture of 2-Ethyl Hexyl Sulphate which is used as a surfactant for Electrolytes.
- Used in the production of 2-Ethyl hexyl esters, which serves as thermal stabilizers and antioxidants/plastics.
- Used in anti-foams for almost all aqueous systems.